General Manager - Music Publishers Association (London)By The GMS Team 17-Apr-2019
The Music Publishers Association is seeking a General Manager to implement a clear strategy which will deliver the best possible results on matters of music copyright protection and industry related policies. The work of the General Manager will influence long term sustainability and an awareness of the importance of music publishing on behalf of its members within the UK. The role will include constant engagement with members, politicians, policymakers, industry stakeholders and with the general public, when necessary, on the MPA’s work on policy, professional development, education and membership & outreach activities.
The General Manager will implement the MPA’s strategic and operational plans and lead, motivate and develop a small, but dynamic team to provide the MPA’s Membership with the best possible service and results.
The successful candidate must be an experienced manager, with a passion for music publishing and experience of working in the industry. They will support the growth of our Membership, oversee the effective delivery of a multitude of member meetings, projects and long-standing initiatives, as well as proactively seeking out new opportunities for the organisation.
Responsibilities will include:
- Devising, developing and delivering the MPA strategic plan; in partnership with the CEO and MPA Board, communicating the vision of the organisation clearly to all relevant stakeholders.
- Responsibility for Board, Committee & Member Meetings; working with the team to construct interesting, relevant agendas and preparing papers in liaison with Chairs.
- Overseeing the planning and implementation of the annual programme of events; in particular, leading on the development of all MPA training and professional development.
- Working with the DOO and CEO on Financials; including setting the MPA’s annual budget, reviewing monthly management accounts and staff salaries and coordinating membership subscriptions.
- Generating revenue and sponsorship opportunities; overseeing the compilation of the annual Sponsorship Brochure, and hitting targets set in conjunction with the CEO and team.
- Representing the MPA and enhancing the reputation of the organisation; promoting the business and building strong and constructive relationships with other industry stakeholders including UK Music, UK Music members (including PRS for Music, BPI, AIM, The Ivors Academy), other relevant trade bodies and organisations such as the British Copyright Council and outreach organisations
- Presenting at MPA Events and Public Speaking Engagements; moderating panels and training courses, delivering speeches and presentations to membership and external audiences.
- Engaging the membership in the work of the MPA and key Policy issues; working with the team to ensure that the interests of MPA members are promoted to government, policy makers and opinion makers anticipating new developments which may impact businesses.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with current and potential members; responding to Members needs by implementing new initiatives and maximising value for money for membership.
The successful candidate will be a strong, focussed leader with significant experience in managing teams. They must have exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to deal with individuals from all levels of the music industry, forging strong relationships and demonstrating excellent diplomatic skills to bring together diverse views to obtain consensus. They will have a capacity to thrive under competing demands on time and to enjoy prioritising a demanding workload with meticulous attention, able to set and action short, medium and long-term company strategies.
The successful candidate will be joining a young, lively team at an exceptionally exciting moment in the history of music publishing and this role sits at the centre of it all.
To apply please send your CV together with a covering letter to Lorna Greenwood – firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note you must have the right to work in the UK. We are unable to consider applicants who do not have the right to work in the UK.
Download the full job description >MPA General Manager (April 2019).